Details

2nd Delaware Volunteer Infantry

Gary Casteel

Size: 3¾” x 3¾” x 8½”
Weight: 2.45 lbs
1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas

Part of Caldwell’s division of the 2nd Corps, the 2nd Delaware Volunteer Infantry fought through the Wheatfield and into the Rose Woods when the division was sent to aid the 3rd Corps on July 2, 1863, at the Battle of Gettysburg. Previously nicknamed “The Crazy Delawares” for their reckless bravery at the Battle of Antietam, the 2nd Delaware Regiment were in the midst of the fight at the Wheatfield.

Commanded by Colonel William P. Bailey, who was wounded during the fight, the 2nd Delaware attacked south from the Trostle Woods across Wheatfield Road, angled across the Wheatfield and into the Rose Woods, driving back Confederates from Kershaw’s South Carolina Brigade. At one point, The Crazy Delawares led a whooping counterattack on the Confederate troops, forcing them back, but only briefly. After pushing the rebels into the trees, the Union soldiers were forced to withdraw. As reported by Colonel Bailey in his official report of the Battle:

…At 4:30 p.m. the regiment moved with the brigade about half a mile to the left, where we deployed by the left flank and faced by the rear flank, and faced the enemy. At this moment, Colonel Brooke ordered the line forward. The regiment moved briskly and with regularity, crossing stone walls, fences, and a morass in face of a heavy fire of musketry. The enemy immediately in our front occupied a most advantageous position behind a ledge of rocks upon the brow of a hill. At the foot of this hill the regiment opened fire upon the enemy, and advanced rapidly up the ascent, driving him from his position, capturing a number of prisoners, among whom were 2 commissioned officers. The enemy at this point attempted to rally and regain the ground he had lost, but was held in check. He then made a strong demonstration on our right flank (now our left). There being no support on this flank, the regiment was in danger of being outflanked, when orders were received form Colonel Brooke, commanding brigade, to fall back. The regiment then withdrew and took position on the right of the woods, about 600 yards in the rear of the position it held. The regiment bivouacked at this place. In this engagement our loss was severe.

The monument marks the furthest point in the Rose Woods reached by the regiment during its charge. The 2nd Delaware captured a number of Rebel prisoners here but came under heavy fire from front and flank. Colonel Bailey was wounded, and the regiment was forced to pull back in a fighting withdrawal to the Trostle Woods. Following Colonel Bailey’s wounding, Captain Charles H. Christman then assumed command.

On July 3rd, the regiment provided a skirmish line along the 2nd Corps front near the Bryan Farm at the site of the position marker. When the men heard of the defeat of the Confederates following Pickett’s Charge, Captain John Evans of Company A led a little charge of his own with a part of the line of the 2nd Delaware and succeeded in capturing more Confederates before nightfall than he had men under his command.

The 2nd Delaware Infantry brought 280 men to Gettysburg. The casualties were listed as 11 men killed, 61 wounded, and 12 missing.

The monument was dedicated on June 10, 1886 and is located on Brooke Avenue southeast of the Rose Farm. (It was originally in the middle of the Wheatfield. In August of 1909, it was moved to its present location in the Rose Woods.)

Price: $205.00

Related Items

Valley Arts Publishing